Los Angeles (AFP) - Emergency personnel tried and failed to revive music legend Prince, who died Thursday at age 57, after finding him slumped unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park studios in Minnesota, the local sheriff said.
"First responders attempted to provide lifesaving CPR, but were unable to revive the victim. He was pronounced deceased at 10:07 am," the Carver County Sheriff's Office said in a statement, saying it was investigating.
Prince had OD'd on Percocet days before his death, and he ingested so much, EMTs had to administer a "save shot" at the airport where his plane made an emergency landing to save his life.
Sources in Moline, Illinois tell TMZ, Prince's entourage told responders he had taken the painkiller after his Atlanta concert which triggered the emergency.
Percocet is a painkiller which contains a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodone, an opioid. It is highly addictive.
As we reported, Prince went to his local Walgreens 4 times in the week leading up to his death. We got a photo of Prince in the parking lot of the Walgreens hours before he died. Witnesses say he was pacing and agitated, waiting for someone to bring out his meds.
Prince's autopsy was just completed ... but the cause of the singer's death is still a mystery.
The four hour procedure started at 9 AM CDT Friday and Prince's body will be released to his family later today. We're told results from the exam won't be disclosed until toxicology results come back ... which could take several weeks.
A rep for the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Minnesota says they're still collecting the singer's medical records as well as family medical history to complete their investigation.
As TMZ reported, Prince was spotted Wednesday pacing outside a local Walgreens waiting on a prescription.
Prince died Thursday morning after being found unresponsive in his Paisley Park compound.